Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Recipes from other Migraine Sufferers

I was contacted by someone else who has had great success with Dr. Buchholz's 1-2-3 Program, and wanted to know if I would like some more recipes. Sure!!! Thank you, Helena, for your recipes! The following recipes were created by Helena Caffrey. If you have read Dr. Buchholz's book and have recipes you would like to share, please contact me by e-mail. If they are migraine friendly, I may post them on my blog, and would of course give credit to you. My goal is always to make this diet more accessible to everyone. So, the more recipes there are available, the better!

Macaroni and Cheese

1 package elbow noodles or egg noodles
milk
butter
sliced high-quality american cheese, torn into pieces
salt and pepper

1. Boil noodles as directed on package. Drain.
2. Return noodles to pot. Add milk, butter, and cheese. Stir until butter and cheese are melted.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Pizza

olive oil
2 large tortillas
ricotta cheese
Gunderson's spaghetti sauce or Buchholz's ragu sauce
vegetable toppings, optional - bell peppers, cooked spinach, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, others

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grease pizza pan or cookie sheet with a thin layer of olive oil.
3. Place 2 tortillas on top of each other. Spread on ricotta cheese and then spaghetti or ragu sauce.
4. Add any desired vegetable toppings.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.



Soda Bread (from Marion Maxwell's A Little Book of Irish Baking)

3 c white flour (I use flour that doesn't contain malted barley flour)
1 t, heaped, baking soda OR 3 t baking powder
1 t salt
12-14 oz milk + (2 1/2 t cream of tartar OR 2 t white distilled vinegar) - buttermilk substitutes (cream of tartar can cause headaches for some)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Dust bottom of a 7' iron casserole dish with lid or 2 bread loaf pans with flour.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Make well in center and gradually add milk while stirring until well blended.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead lightly to form a smooth round (or 2 ovals).
5. Place dough in dish or pans. Cut a cross in the top.
6. Bake for 50 to 55 min or until bottom sounds hallow when tapped.
7. Wrap bread in a cloth to cool.


*Recipes are created or provided by Helena Caffrey, Indianapolis, IN.

11 comments:

  1. Heidi, Can't wait for your book to be published! I am excited to see it on the shelves of a bookstore someday! I know it will make it there, I am sure it's been a very long and tedious road but wow, you have really worked hard at this and you are really helping others! That's awesome!

    I am actually getting ready to go make your hamburger pie right now for Curt! He is a big fan of the recipe and so am I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment! (wink) I'm so glad you enjoy the recipe, and I hope you two enjoy your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipes! I am part of a forum that has a special thread for migraine-free recipes, may I use them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested in your offer. Please email me at host@migrainefreecooking.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't touch cheese causes as it causes very bad migraine.Ended up in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that happens. It's why we make our own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI HEIDI MY NAME IS VELMA PAQUETTE I SUFFERERS FROM MIGRAINE AND NEED RECIPE FOR MIGRAINE I GO TO THE HOSPITAL ALOT PLEASE SEND ME SOME RECIPE TO ME E-MAIL VIP1@VCN.BC.CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Velma. Thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your headaches, and I hope they improve. I have many recipes posted on this blog. Please read the side and click on the one you like. Or, you may purchase my book "Migraine-Free Cooking!" on Amazon by clicking on the link at the top of the website. You may also visit my web page http://migrainefreecooking.com for more recipes. I hope that helps, and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What exactly is high quality American cheese? Isn't American cheese by definition processed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. American cheese from behind the deli counter is much different than American cheese from the isle. The ingredients are free of MSG and it isn't highly processed. It is fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am shocked that you can use wheat flour. I have had a long history of migraines and take Maxalt to treat them. Nowjeat flour of any kind for me.

    ReplyDelete