Sunday, June 27, 2010

Broccoli and Cheese

One of my favorites, now migraine-free!

Broccoli, fresh or frozen, unseasoned, prepared as directed
Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese or neufchatel cheese (not fat-free), cubed
One teaspoon distilled white vinegar
One cup chicken stock
8 pieces high-quality American cheese from the deli counter (not processed)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Melt the cream cheese in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Heat and stir until smooth and heated thoroughly. Pour over broccoli and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Hello there. Has anyone found any mayo brands that do not have lemon in the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. As long as it isn't very high on the list of ingredients, I wouldn't worry about it. I used a brand for awhile that didn't have it on the list, and now it does. Just do the best you can. If anyone else out there knows of one though, I am all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know how much I value and enjoy your blog by passing along The Versatile Blogger Award.

    http://jasminepw.blogspot.com/2010/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to figure out what "high-quality" American cheese refers to. Can you give some examples of brands to look for at the deli counter that are not processed? I thought all American cheese is processed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jasmine!! I am honored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a common misconception that all American cheese is highly processed. Many brands you will find in supermarkets have one or more MSG aliases listed in the ingredients and and say "processed" very plainly somewhere on the package. However, brands found at the deli counter are not this way. Boar's Head American cheese is a great example. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heidi. That's great! Boar's Head is easily available for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad! That opens up some great recipe possibilities.

    ReplyDelete