Monday, February 27, 2012

Vegetarian Cooking

I've been asked, since starting this blog, many questions about vegetarian cooking. While eating vegetarian on this diet is more than possible, it can be a little more difficult if you don't stay within the realm of the original diet. Much of the processed food developed for vegetarians on the market, while otherwise healthy, is flavored to have more taste, or even a different taste, than it originally would have due to overprocessing, or even due to its contents. In other words, seaweed is not meant to taste like chicken. MSG, probably in several forms, has been added in processed foods to make it taste that way. Sticking to the original diet, meaning pure vegetables cooked  at home with seasonings added, is much healthier. Visit truthinlabeling.org for a list of MSG aliases that can be found in foods. Are there vegetarian foods on the market that can be eaten? Yes. I know I eat some of them. I would love some vegetarian 1-2-3ers to post what they have found in stores and where they have been able to eat out (to help with variety), since I am a true meat eater. My mission now is to create some vegetarian recipes that taste great. Here is your first one. I have some others that I'm working on, and they will be posted as soon as they are perfected.
Addition 2/29/12: I do realize that many vegetarians don't eat fish, and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. That was certainly not my intent. I am working on more recipes that will be out soon. There is a website listed below where you can find some great recipes in the meantime. Some may need to be altered a little to fit the diet, but others are great the way they are. I chose one I like and posted it.

Shrimp and Bean Soup

1/2 cup dry black beans
1/2 cup dry light red kidney beans
1/2 cup dry great northern beans
1/2 cup dry pinto beans
2 tblsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2-3 cups vegetable broth recipe (don't use store-bought) Use mine or find a traditional one and make it w/out onions.
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp dried parsley or 2 tsp fresh parsley
1 4oz. can green chilies
1 fresh tomato, chopped, if desired
2 cups (1 lb) small-medium peeled, deveined shrimp

Pre-soak beans as directed on package. Drain and rinse. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, saute shallots in olive oil for two minutes. Add garlic and saute for one more minute. Add all remaining ingredients including the beans, except the shrimp. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add shrimp and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until shrimp is opaque and beans are at desired tenderness, about 15 minutes. You may need to add water periodically during cooking.
Tip: Do not use frozen shrimp for this recipe. The fresh shrimp will give it a much better flavor.
Tip: You may use canned beans (unflavored and watch preservatives) instead, if desired. Use one can for every type of bean.

Here is recipe you may like also.
http://www.tarladalal.com/Mexican-Pita-Pockets-3466r

See my new post for Spinach Dumplings on the Migraine.com blog here!
http://migraine.com/blog/cooking-with-migraine/migraine-friendly-recipes-spinach-dumplings/

13 comments:

  1. Heidi, this looks good! Your spinach dumplings look amazing too. Just a quick question about pinto beans...I've always thought they were ok, but recently noticed they have been coming up on a lot of lists as high in tyramine. What do you think? Just hate to cut out one more food unless I have to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phoebe. Yes, I notice pinto beans come up on some and not others. I also notice that chicken is listed on one as a food to avoid, and that garbanzo beans are listed on many as a type of bean to avoid, which they shouldn't be. Since pinto beans are not listed on all lists, and they're not listed in Dr. Buchholz's book, I would say they are probably okay. I will ask around and ask Dr. Buchholz again as well, but I don't think pinto beans are a problem unless they are bought from a restaurant as refried beans. Refried beans contain onions, sauce and cheese, which all have potential triggers. I hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Heidi. I make my own refried beans at home just to be safe :) I have been wondering how involved Dr. Buchholz is today and if he has discovered any new triggers or different information since the book was written. Is there anything major you can think of that has changed since 2002 (when the book was published) that we should be aware of?

      Delete
  2. Hi Phoebe, that is a question I haven't been asked before. It's a good question, but a loaded one, so I want to be very careful in my wording to answer it. I do speak to Dr. Buchholz sometimes, but I don't speak FOR him. We have had conversations about similar questions I've asked him, but I don't feel confident to share his answers, if that's okay. I don't know for sure that he would mind, in fact he probably wouldn't, but I would feel more confident if you asked him directly. What I can tell you from my own experience and "research" is that most of what was written in his book still holds true today. There are new medicines on the market, but a lot of them are in the same class as older medicines and can be applied to advice already given by him. There are some new classes of medicines though that can be researched. Still, the best way to prevent headaches is through the 1-2-3 program, in my opinion. Remember, the diet itself (along with regular sleep patterns and other lifestyle changes) is a preventive measure, so many people who follow HIS program don't even need preventive medication. However, for those who do, the medications will work better when steps 1 and 2 are followed. There are some slight changes to the way food is being processed now verses the way it was processed then, or the way food is labeled, but many of these changes can be kept up with by viewing the website truthinlabeling.org. Still, all of his advice about food holds true today, barring some possible additions to MSG aliases. Read Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma." It will explain our food system in great detail.

    That may not be the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps lead you in the direction you were seeking. His book is still as valid today as it was when it was written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heidi. I agree that the book is still valid today - and I did not not find it until 2011. It has improved my life so much. I have read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and I agree it is a valuable book. I find it interesting that certain websites claim to have "migraine-friendly" recipes and then they contain ingredients like onion powder and raspberries. It just makes me wonder where they got their information. Anyway, thank you again for what you are doing. You are helping so many people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great blog and site! I have used it extensively to learn how to eat vegetarian on the the Buchholz diet. My migraines have reduced from daily to a few mild twinges a month!!!! My quality of life has drastically changed. I am now adding things back in to see if I can handle them... so far citrus, and cooked onions are fine. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm so glad you are feeling better. It's nice to hear about success stories. Hopefully you will find more safe foods. Best wishes!
      Heidi

      Delete
  5. I just wanted to let you know I am loving your cookbook! Living here in SE Louisiana where food is king and I found myself in a state of depression because I could not eat the food I love. But your book and site has refueled a creativity in me to get back up and get cooking again!
    You are a GOD send! I love the wealth of info you are providing...my love of food has inspired me to start a blog as well. Check me out http://www.nourishsouthernstyle.blogspot.com/...I have a Louisiana twist with tons of flavor, chez!
    A fellow migraine, Aven

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice recipe and simple preparing method thank you sharing this
    Partition Planters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is ready -

    Plus, getting it running is as simple as 1..2..3!

    Here's how it works...

    STEP 1. Choose affiliate products the system will advertise
    STEP 2. Add PUSH BUTTON traffic (it LITERALLY takes JUST 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the affiliate products system explode your list and up-sell your affiliate products all by itself!

    Do you want to start making money???

    Get the full details here

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s obvious some patients with HIV are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not cure it permanently. I have been with the virus for years until I was introduced by a  friend who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr James Herbal Mix Medicine.  I was cured of HIV/AIDS after the usage of strong herbal mix medicine Dr, James prepared for me. All thanks to  Dr James, for healing me. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and roots and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on surgery, injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including ALZHEIMER'S DISEASES, Lyme disease, Bipolar, Rosacea,Psoriasis/ Shingles, Lupus, Parkinson's disease, Schizophrenia, Cancer’s, Bladder Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Breast Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Leukemia, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Fibromyalgia, syndrome Fibrodysplasia, Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes, Celiac disease, Antipathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, Adrenocortical carcinoma. Asthma, Allergic diseases. Hiv_ Aids, Herpes, Inflammatory bowel disease, COPD, Diabetes. herpes, Cancer, Vaginal burning, diabetics, asthma, EBV, HIV, hepatitis, Enlargement, etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was Cured of HIV and my aunt and her husband were cured of Cancer by  the same Dr James who uses natural herbs and roots extracts to cure different kinds of illness. Even Dr James proved to the whole world countless times that natural herbs can cure all kinds of diseases, and he cured countless people using natural herbs. I know it is hard to believe but am a living testimony. He prepared the herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through SPEED POST COURIER  SERVICES and I took it as he instructed. MORNING AND EVENING FOR 15DAYS, 7days later after the usage of his herbal mix medicine, I went to the hospital to do a checkup, the results came out, and I was NEGATIVE. There is no harm in trying herbs, it will  cure you of any diseases you are suffering from, so why don't you give herbs a try and see its effectiveness. Dr James herbal mix medicine it's easy to drink with no side   Contact Dr James on his Email .... greatcureman@gmail.com....INFO@drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com .AND GET RID OF YOUR DISEASES.

    ReplyDelete